Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Wytheville, VA

Today I decided to try a new tactic - get to the next campground as early as possible and see what kind of trouble we could get into there during the day. Since we free camped last night, heading out pretty much just involved putting the RV in gear. We stopped at a Hardee's so I could get my breakfast sandwich fix. It's funny how quickly I've adapted to the big rig driving mindset. There is always one thing I'm thinking about when we're stopping someplace: where and how to park! Yesterday I pulled off a marvelous feat of backing out of a gas station / McDonald's drive thru combo after a service truck was parked blocking the pull-through. As you can tell, I am still proud of myself. I'm getting a little more comfortable with the whole process though, and was able to find a good spot at Hardee's. I think the trucking brethren are really starting to embrace Auggie and me into the fold.

One thing though, we walked out of the restaurant to find this ace parking job in front of us. There was parking all the way around the store, and it was in no way full.
Who decides 5 feet of clearance in front of a 30-foot vehicle is a good place to put your valuable car?! We had just enough space to back out and get out of there, but I'm still questioning that person's intelligence.

From there we headed straight to Wytheville and got our spot at the KOA. Chris has been purposely trying to plan our stops at places with full-service campgrounds, which makes a big difference for having lots for Auggie to explore and do.
After an afternoon nap, me and the little guy decided to figure out every patch of the place we're staying. He had a lot of fun at this neat little wooden train. It's easy to tell if he's really into something because he starts yelling and making a lot of "Oooh!" faces.

We also spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out if this dog in front of the camp store was real. After much fretting and guarded petting from the safety of mommy's arms, he finally declared that whatever it was, it was friendly.


It's actually pretty chilly here today, with a high in the low 60's and the rain has continued intermittently. Once Chris arrived they went for a quick dip in the pool. August has decided he's big enough to carry anything, especially his float.
Then we grilled out brats and Italian sausages at one of the cottage grills we "borrowed". Some mixed greens salad and roasted potatoes made it the best homemade meal we've had on the trip yet. When I do the tour of the RV on here, I'll show how little space there is for food prep. It's definitely a learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment