Sunday, June 28, 2015

Breckenridge, CO

Layover or rest days are easily my favorite of this adventure. It is so nice having Chris with us all day, and also amazing to stay somewhere for more than one night at a time. We had stopped by Breckenridge a few years ago on a trip to Colorado and decided it would be worth spending a day here this time.

It is beautiful here, and I knew we were making the right choice as I was driving towards it yesterday. Hoosier Pass is kind of unbelievable to see. Also, I only had to pull over to let cars pass the RV a few times, which wasn't bad compared to some sightseeing heavy roads.



This morning Chris took Auggie on a bike ride around town and I got to snooze. His toddler-ness is not always easy to deal with on a day-in and day-out basis, so I am grateful that Chris recognizes this and lets me have a real break once in a while. I got a little more time on my own this afternoon and am feeling recharged.

We rode our bikes from Breckenridge to Frisco, which is basically a downhill coast. Downhill coasting is my best kind of riding! It's a gorgeous ride and I highly recommend it if you're in the area. Then, there is a free shuttle in both Frisco and Breckenridge that also runs between the two. So, we were able to throw the bikes on and let the shuttle do the work uphill to Breckenridge.

August fell asleep about 10 minutes before we got to Frisco, and it was adorable. I felt so bad for him, the little guy was just bobbing around and resting his head on whatever it happened to touch. He can fall asleep while completely sitting up and bumping along. Definitely takes after his Grandpa Spors on this one!

Getting out of the RV for a day or two is always a pleasure, and we had lots of fun family time on this layover day. We also ate a ton of good food, which I forgot to take pictures of. I won't dwell on the meals since I don't have pics to show, but we ate at a nice little sandwich shop in Frisco for lunch and a crepe stand here in Breckenridge for dinner. Lots of tasty eating, though I'm glad the bulk of our trip hasn't been in touristy areas as our budget wouldn't allow for the restaurant tabs we had today on a regular basis!

Breckenridge is a popular vacation destination for the well-heeled, and it's easy to sense that as you walk down the streets. That normally makes me a little uncomfortable, as I don't like to think of any place as off-limits to those without affluence. The bike culture here though cannot be beat. So many people cycle on a regular basis here that it's just the norm. Same for walking. And, I am really loving the weather. Both Cripple Creek and Breckenridge have relatively cool, dry climates. I've decided we can stay here for the rest of the trip! Alas, we have to keep moving but I will definitely miss the comfortable atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment