Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Alley Spring Campground in the Mark Twain National Forest

We have been without internet or phone service for going on two days, so this post may be delayed in getting published. The Ozarks are a great place to disconnect and recharge, as you have no other option.

This morning Chris decided to try a late start, so we had scrambled eggs and toast before he took off around 8:30. We followed a couple hours later. For the first time, we were on his route for the whole drive. We passed nearly a dozen TransAmers, a sight I loved to see, though I felt bad for being yet another vehicle making their journey a little more dangerous. They were in groups of 1-3, and I was happy to see several women among them, including one group of three. I suddenly felt pretty soft after that. Hopefully there are fewer buffets in my future.

August and I went for a bike ride after we set up camp. We got caught in the rain a few times, but the temperature was nice and it wasn’t pouring, so it actually was pleasant.


The rain continued off and on all afternoon, but it cleared off long enough for us to go see the mill at Alley Spring. I wasn’t expecting much (we go to mills surprisingly often as Chris is a fan), but it was beautiful and fascinating. The water around here is a swirly mix of aquamarine, bright green, blues and brown.

81 million gallons of water a day flow from Alley Spring, a quantity I can’t even comprehend. The rushing falls were impressive, and there was a mist over much of the water. We were so glad we took a few minutes to go check it out, I wouldn’t want to have missed it.



We had Chris’ sloppy joes for dinner and then chose an early bedtime since August had been clearly tired and grouchy for much of the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment