Monday, June 22, 2015

Ness City, KS

It was a great start to our day. We all slept in at the hotel and woke up feeling refreshed. Chris decided to ride in the afternoon and we spent the morning doing some regular servicing on the RV (filling up on propane, emptying tanks, etc.), since from what we can tell we may be short of places to stay with utilities over the next few hundred miles.

No joke, we are at an "RV Park" tonight that is literally a guy's converted yard here in Ness City. I respect his entrepreneurial spirit, but this is an odd setup. Also, way too expensive for what it is. That is the advantage of offering a service in the sticks I guess! (Not pictured, the owner's house immediately to the right of this frame. Our water hookup is split with one going to his house and one to our RV).

After readying the RV for some possible boondocking in the next few days, we had lunch then said goodbye to Chris. He tried out a new fashion accessory today. He had seen some other cyclists tuck a handkerchief under their helmets to keep the sun off their necks, so he went for it. He looks like Lance Armstrong on safari.

Auggie and I had some grocery shopping to do, so we took care of that straight away. I have noticed on other trips that Kroger exists in many parts of the country under different names. For example, I know in Colorado they operate under the City Market and King Soopers labels. Here they are called Dillon's, and I was happy to come across one today as I'm familiar with their layout. We stocked up and headed out. A very kind employee came out to the RV and offered to take the cart back for me, and gave August a packet of fruit snacks. I am loving the people of Kansas for their friendly attitudes.

We continued towards our destination, passing Chris along the way. The scenery today was extra flat, and I saw a group of horses swimming in the middle of a pond up to their necks. I asked Chris to get a picture when he went through since I couldn't, but they had finished the party by the time he got there. It was otherwise uneventful and pleasant.









Ness City is a quaint little town and I am hoping to explore more of it tomorrow. For tonight we waited until it started to cool off and then August and I rode to the nearby city park on my bike. First we tried out the main playset, which was very tall, and decided to visit the slide, since he doesn't have the balance yet for most climbing things. It was a curly slide with a start that was at least 15 feet off the ground. August is not afraid to slide by himself and is cautious so I usually let him, but I had a feeling this one might be a bit much. I rode with him to see how bad it was, and was extremely glad I did. We went down so fast that I almost wiped out at the bottom! We decided to check out the other areas after that.

He really enjoyed the merry-go-round, which was the perfect size for him and a toddler haven. The park also had these neat pedestals hanging from poles, which were also tethered to the ground for stability. It was enough of a challenge for him that he was really proud of himself for making it up on his own, and I was glad to have made the outing so he could use some of that energy. It was getting close to bedtime so we headed back to camp and Chris arrived soon after.

We are only a couple of days from Colorado!

No comments:

Post a Comment