Sunday, May 31, 2015

Colonial Williamsburg

Today was the first full day of biking for Chris and exploring for us. August was so kind as to wake up early again (Please tell me this won't be a habit!), so we had time for a scrambled egg breakfast before walking around the campground and then departing for Colonial Williamsburg. I'm sure our neighbors at the campground enjoyed watching me fumble with every single door on the outside of the RV while trying to get the hookups put back and everything locked up. Luckily they're usually leisurely, jovial, and happy to help a newbie.

I had heard good things about Colonial Williamsburg and was looking forward to visiting. We got lost on the way to the Visitor Center, lost trying to get to the Bridge to the Past, and I also underestimated how long the pathway to Revolutionary City was. Downside: I was overheated by the time I had pushed that umbrella stroller all the way there, and it was a pretty hot day for walking around in the direct sun. We were both tuckered out and ready for our nap after a couple of hours. Upside: I definitely got my exercise in and I managed to keep both of us from getting sunburned, which is tough when you're pale like us.

Fortunately I had gotten some good advice from the campground host and didn't spend the $40 on a ticket to be able to enter the museums and every building. Most of the historical buildings were very small, with lots of people coming in and out, and required stairs to enter. Of course this is how it's supposed to be given the time period, but it made it tough with the baby and gear. This is something I would have loved to amble through if I didn't have a kid in tow, but it was pretty impractical and I was glad I hadn't spent the money for full access since I spent much of the time looking for a place to buy the next cold beverage. Even though I started the outing with water and kept it coming, I was beet red the whole time.

If you're thinking about making a trip out there, I imagine that it's great for school-age kids and adults. I wouldn't take small children unless you're dedicated and patient. I realize this sounds like a bad review, but I think it was mainly my situation that made me feel underwhelmed with the experience. I was happy to get back behind of the wheel of the RV so I could blast A/C on my face! I'll try to remember the morning fondly with the single picture I managed to take during my sunny stupor somewhere along the Bridge to the Past:

Afterwards we continued down the road to the KOA we're staying at tonight. I'm starting to see the appeal of permanent camping. This place is kind of awesome. Everyone has been super friendly, there is a pool, gym, laundromat, playground, free waffles in the morning, and tonight there was a dessert social in the lobby. Plus, we received the sizable biker discount. Chris took Auggie swimming this afternoon and we went for a bike ride after dinner, stopping to talk to a few people along the way. You could definitely say we are happy campers tonight!

We met a few interesting folks today. First, I met a woman at the playground who has three young kids and she and her family live in their RV full-time and travel across the country for the business they own. I love meeting people who have carved out alternative lifestyles and careers for themselves, and I was tickled that 2 days in I had already come across an example. Also, Chris came across his first fellow TransAm-er while riding today and we got to meet her and her boyfriend at the campground tonight. She's from Memphis, and she's riding the Trans-America Trail to Pueblo, CO then turning towards California. Her boyfriend is serving as her support vehicle driver and we appreciated talking with them as her boyfriend did this very ride a few years ago. They are tent camping every night, which we cannot imagine from the luxury of our old RV. I suspect we'll see them again over the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment